Monday, May 18, 2015

State of the Baroness May 2015

So, what have I been up to?  Well, as I mentioned previously, my husband and I have been doing a lot of home improvement projects.  We painted our kitchen cabinets and are just finishing painting one of our bathrooms.  We had a big yard sale to get rid of a lot of stuff.

And I've been rearranging and organizing my sewing room.  We got rid of a computer desk and a sewing cabinet that was in there in the yard sale, and Justin (my husband) just finished some big shelves in their place to hold all my STUFF.











I've been working on a few corset commissions here and there, and also doing some sewing for myself.  I'm still working on my steampunk stays, if you remember my post about fitting back many months ago. They're almost finished, but I'm hand-sewing the binding on, which is a PITA and taking forever.  Here's a photo of them without binding or straps.

I've made myself a few quick pieces as well.  I realized I had a real hole in my steampunk wardrobe for casual steampunk clothing.  I had only two yards of this awesome Tim Holtz measuring tape fabric that I originally bought for a bag.  But I used every last inch of it, and made myself a skirt.  Then I used the Laughing Moon underbust pattern and made myself a lightweight waist cincher out of faux leather.  Here's those two items together.

The top is a silk thrift store top and the hat is a vintage one I picked up at an estate sale last weekend.  I bought 4 black velvet hats!  I'll be selling the rest of them.


I have several things on the horizon.  I haven't attended any cons FOREVER, partly for health reasons, partly for financial reasons.  I've had to reevaluate my business and if vending events is really a good financial decision, in many cases deciding it isn't.

But I am super excited because I WILL be attending A-Kon in Dallas in June.  A-Kon was my very first con, and my first time dressing steampunk, but I haven't been able to make it back for years.  I was offered the opportunity to vend at the steampunk ball on Friday night of the con, so I'll be doing that, and also enjoying the rest of the con as an attendee for once!  This means I suddenly need to get finished with some projects I've been meaning to do for a while.

I also am planning two corset making workshops this summer, and I've been doing some prep work for those, but the details aren't firm yet.

So that's what I'm up to.  Mostly.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

>