Monday, September 22, 2014

Adding Lace with a Serger

So I only recently got a serger for the first time.  A lot of people are surprised I've never used one or had one already, but there's no need for one when making corsets, and for other applications I mostly use my narrow hem foot for my regular machine.  I'm really good with that thing.

So I got a really spiffy Juki serger (this one, if you're curious) but had no idea what to do with it. So I took the Beginner Serging class on Craftsy, and a week later I felt like a total pro.

I've recently used it to whip together some simple skirts using material I had sitting around.  I made a nice A-line skirt with some grey suiting, and it looked nice but I wanted it to have a little more steampunk-appropriate flair, so I decided to add some lace to the bottom edge.

Figuring there must be a clever way to do this neatly with the serger, I did some quick research and decided to attach it with a 3-thread rolled hem.  I don't have any fancy feet for my serger yet, so I just guided everything by hand.















This leaves a nice clean finish, and after pressing the lace down, it's a seamless join on the outside.















So, although I don't think the serger is often necessary for Victorian or steampunk sewing, there are applications where it's convenient.  I'm really happy with this skirt and it's got a lovely look that would work for daily wear or costume use.



No comments:

Post a Comment

>