Monday, February 23, 2015

Apologies for the radio silence

Hi everyone!  I know things have been silent for a while.  First I had a severe back flare that meant I wasn't getting ANYTHING done except playing video games.  It also was pretty depressing and I just couldn't work up enthusiasm for blogging.  And then there were the holidays and I was traveling for two weeks and now that I can work on things again I've been pretty busy.

I'm trying to catch up on my corset commissions and I'm also doing some home improvement projects.  They're small DIY, low-budget things, but that's taking a lot of time.  I have been wanting to ask my readers, though: should I post about my home projects here?  They're not actually steampunk related, unless you want to say something simple like painting cabinets could be steampunk.  I have a more personal blog that no one reads where I COULD post about them.  I've always tried to keep this blog as on-topic as possible, so I'm asking.



Should I post about my home improvement projects here?

Yes, I'm interested!
No, keep it strictly steampunk.
Maybe? (Explain in comments.)
Poll Maker

Thanks for voting!  I really am interested in my reader's opinions.

On the steampunk front there are things coming up in my area that should get me back in the swing of things.  I am keeping my con schedule light again this year for financial and personal reasons.  I will most likely only be attending/vending at small steampunk-specific events.

Here are some of the events I'm keeping an eye on at the moment for Texas:

Steampunk Express (Cogs, Leather, Lace and Steam) - The Texas State Railroad is having a steampunk weekend April 24-26.  There are lots of events planned, but details are still slim.  This sounds super cool so I'm looking forward to learning more about cost and vending and whatnot.  FB event here.

The Corrupted Cog - Austin, TX May 9-10 - From the organizers of Weird West Fest, it's a new event right off 6th street in Austin.  They're going for a dark, macabre side of steampunk and I'm looking forward to it!

There's a Sherlock Holmes exhibit currently at the Museum of Natural History in Dallas and I'm going to try to organize a steampunk group trip.  I'll post details once I have them.

I will also be giving TWO corset making workshops this summer at the same location as my workshop last year outside Dallas.  Details to come.

So yeah, the next few months are starting to look busy.

3 comments:

  1. I love DIY and home projects, and you should write about whatever has caught your passion at the moment. Don't your tastes run to Victorian/retro/fantasy? That's been my impression, anyway. So home projects will probably still be on-topic anyway, right? Even if not strictly, purely steampunkedy. So go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! It's a tough call, I try not to post too many off topic posts on my blog. I'm not sure how I feel about these kind of posts, only because I've seen fashion blogs progressively get off track with them. If you end up posting too many non fashion related posts you run the risk of losing the interest of your readers (who likely came here for fashion). If you do choose to write about your home projects I would suggest keeping it minimal and balanced with the rest of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in home improvement projects too! I recently bought a home and have been slowly personalizing it. I agree that on this blog you'd want to keep it mostly steampunky, but you could also post a link to your other blog. Is there a link on here yet? I was looking around and couldn't find one.

    ReplyDelete

>