Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Finds: My Favorite Steampunk Musicians

(First, today is the last day to enter to win a free Craftsy class. You should do that.)

Yes, I have a mini-theme this week: music I like.  I'm an admitted music snob from way back, so I DON'T automatically like any steampunk musician.  I also tend to like music with some serious rock in it.  I also find that with many steampunk bands out there, you really have to see them live to judge their music, since their cds and videos may not be the most representative recordings.  Luckily we have conventions.

So here are my favorite steampunk bands/musicians:

Abney Park - Yeah, ok, fine, it's predictable, but Abney Park deserves a lot of credit for helping to shape steampunk in general and steampunk music in particular.  I've seen them perform three times and they are always very entertaining, as well as being really nice people in all my real life interactions with them.  

My favorite album is Aether Shanties, although I haven't bought...um, their last two albums yet.    This video is for Steampunk Revolution, which is nowhere near my favorite song of theirs, but the video is neat because it features lots of different steampunks.



Unwoman - I saw Unwoman for the first time at the last Aetherfest and I couldn't believe how amazing she was.  I have a THING about stringed instruments, since I once played the violin (badly), and I absolutely love the way she uses looped electric cello to create her songs.  I prefer her songs that feature just her voice and cello, rather than the ones with backing instruments.  As a result, I prefer her live to on album.  But (one of) her collection of covers, Lemniscate is AMAZING.  (I'm looking forward to her new album,too which I backed on Kickstarter.)




Frenchy and the Punk - I had the oppotunity to see Frenchy and the Punk at Comicpalooza's Steampunk Ball last year.  Not only were they incredibly energetic and fun with their cabaret punk music, but they were REALLY, REALLY friendly and nice.  I'm excited that they're returning to Comicpalooza this year and I'll get to see them again.  This band is just about perfect for someone (umm, me) who divided their formative years between punk and goth clubs.

(Yes, this video is just drumming, which isn't really representative, but the visuals are GREAT.  And I LOVED their drum duets live.) Also,they have a Kickstarter for their new album right now, so check it out.


Marquis of Vaudeville - Marquis of Vaudeville is a Dallas, TX based band, and widely beloved in the Texas Steampunk community.  I've seen them A BUNCH of times, and I swear they get better every time I see them.  I HIGHLY recommend their album The Great Promenade of Fools & Ghosts.  It's fantastically produced and sounds great.  I listen to it more than any other album by any band here.

And hey, I was there when this video was recorded.







Crystal Bright and the Silver Hands - Yes, they are my new addition to this list.  I'll just link you to my review of their concert I attended last week.   They are amazing and very nice and deserve all your love.   Please book them for all the steampunk events.









2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I've been enjoying your blog a lot! Thank you for that. Your posts on "random steampunk stuff from Ikea" (or wherever) came to mind when I was at Lowe's (the hardware store, not the grocery store) last night. Did you know that steampunk ceiling fans are a thing? Yeah, I didn't either. Check it out:

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_232645-88854-LP8210LAZ_4294935502%2B4294819915%2B4294820005__?productId=4086558&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Bronze|Black

    Or this more tasteful version:

    http://www.lowes.com/pd_80443-82939-40094_4294935502%2B4294819915%2B4294820005__?productId=4165863&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Bronze|Black

    Cool, huh? Hella expensive, but if I ever win the lottery I'm putting this on my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like that second fan. The first IS a bit too much, but I guess in the right room it might be cool. Yeah, out of my budget definitely. I'm just hoping to get around to painting my ceiling fans eventually.

      Delete

>