Monday, July 8, 2013

New Steamy Sewing Patterns

The new Fall pattern lines don't have an abundance of steampunk possibilities, but there are a few.

McCall 


McCall 6800 - This is a really nice coat that could work well with a steampunk costume.   Or which would just be a nice, feminine everyday coat.















M6799 - This is a nice, full, long skirt that would work if you need a quick and cheap pattern for a long skirt.















M6818 - This (and the costume below) are apparently Once Upon A Time styled costumes.  I haven't watched that show yet, so I have no idea about its costuming.  But I think they both have steampunk possibilities if you leave off the more fantasy elements.













M6819 - If the Renaissance elements were left out, this could be steampunked, probably.















M6815 - This is a cute Wizard of Oz costume that maybe could be made more generic for a boy's steampunk costume.














Butterick
B5935 - Butterick has a new "historical" corset pattern out.  It's really a modern take on a Renaissance style, I guess.  It's not unattractive, but it's not historically accurate, but if this is a shape you want, this may be a good start.













B5936 - Gauntlet, Water Bottle Carrier, and Pouches
This is interesting.  Brass details could steam these up.  I'm especially intrigued by the one with the three bottles, but it's hard to tell exactly what any of this is.  I'd like to look at the patterns.














8 comments:

  1. I love your pattern roundups, and usually end up buying several that you recommend. I've been eyeing the new Butterick corset pattern, but I just don't know. I love their other corset pattern, it's kind of become my go-to, and I love it even more now that I've figured out how easy it is to add a busk (thanks to help from you! I keep meaning to email you and let you know how it turned out!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the other corset pattern is working well for you. I've used it and it worked out fairly well. And, of course, I love that you like these posts. I admit I get really excited when there are new patterns to browse. :)

      Delete
  2. I *love* that McCall's coat, I'm off to stare at the pattern and see if it will be within my limited sewing skills :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really pretty, isn't it? I totally don't need a coat, but if I did it would be hard to resist.

      Delete
    2. Would that coat work as an overdress in a lightweight fabric? It would look really pretty over a skirt.

      Delete
    3. Ooo, that's a thought. Especially if you took the sleeves off. Maybe switched the buttons for some kind of clasps... *does not need new projects, grr*

      Delete
  3. I love the McCalls 6800 but can only find it in Petite, do you know if it is available for regular sizes? Do you think it would be terribly difficult to modify the pattern for average sizes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misses/Miss Petite is the same thing. It means it is appropriate for either. There is no separate petite pattern.

      Delete

>